Friday, May 28, 2010

Thank you Myth Busters

The best conversation I have had this school year. On the very last day.

We were talking about methane gas, cow farts and the greenhouse effect. We kicked around the idea of it as next year's science fair project, considering using the dog as a model and taping a balloon to his butt. Just to see if it were possible to capture gas.

Mike decided to throw in “You could light them”. I tried to shush him, but it was too late. It was out. And then I had to accept that now my child is old enough to know about those stupid, dangerous urban legends. Nice.

And then it only got worse.

“They did that on Myth Busters!” her 8 year old voice piped up “It really works!” Great. Education at its finest. It just keeps getting better.

We laughed and laughed. The kind that ends in tears and that warm glowy feeling.

As my last ditch effort to salvage the conversation and keep my 8 year old from harm. “But you never try that because you can burn all the hair off your butt.. ok?”

Silence.

“I didn’t know I have hair on my butt”

Crap. That is a whole other conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment