Sunday, April 18, 2010

On the eve of getting my new baby

It’s not always this way, but sometimes it is. Sometimes I get to bond with a new baby. I’m not mommy, nor do I want to be. Parenthood comes with its own set of challenges. I get to know them though and I get to love them. I get to calm their crying and make them laugh. I get to hold them in the morning while they’re still cuddly and greet them after nap when they’re all smiles. In some ways I get the best of both worlds.

It’s fitting that tonight I’m watching M.A.S.H. It’s hard not to remember all those early mornings with Samantha. Those first few months when I was trying to start my daycare. I had from April 13th until the beginning of August with Samantha. It was just the two of us. I was so completely in love and she, well she was the most fascinating human being I’d ever met. In some ways she still is. I’d feed her and change her and hold her and listen to her breath and watch her sleep. And I’d watch M.A.S.H.

At the time FX played M.A.S.H from 6 am until 10 am and I’d watch all 4 hours, every day. Eventually I began to wonder if I’d seen every episode of M.A.S.H. It turned out I was only a few episodes short. I looked up the M.A.S.H episode guide on line and I checked off every episode I knew for sure I’d seen. Then I began to look for the episodes I hadn’t. It filled my time and filled my heart and helped me get through those amazing and scary and awful but incredible few months.

So yes it’s fitting and maybe a little amusing. I wasn’t even looking for it, but there it was. Maybe I should try to find my M.A.S.H. shirt and wear it in the morning. Almost 8 years ago to the day, I brought Sammie home from the hospital and tomorrow, I get to welcome a new baby into my life. It’s a good journey. I guess that pretty much sums it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment